I always end up with an unused aubergine and a rogue pepper in my fridge. They usually end up in a roasting dish but as I had a can of coconut milk waiting in the press for months it was as good a time as any to experiment. This dish is really comforting and a great way to use up whatever veggies you have leftover.
A creamy curry for using up veg you have in the fridge!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 medium aubergine chunky cubes
- 2 tbsp curry powder hot or mild depending on preference
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander flakes
- 2 tsp chili powder optional
- 1 cup potatoes small cubes
- 1 large sweet potato small cubes
- 1 large ramiro pepper chopped thumbnail size
- 1 small courgette thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms chunky slices
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk Use less if calories are something you care about!
- 1 can chickpeas
Heat coconut oil in large pot on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir until soft and golden.
Add aubergine and stir for 5 mins.
Add dry ingredients and stir for 2 mins.
Add the rest of the veggies and stir frequently for 10 mins.
Add can of tomatoes followed by coconut milk and then add the chickpeas plus salt and pepper to taste. After 5 mins bring to a simmer until curry is at preferred thickness.
Serve on a bed of boiled rice.
I bought all my ingredients at Small Changes. Recipe serves 4, or two people over 2 days. For bulk cooking just double the recipe and freeze batches.
Content creator and collaborator from Dublin. JR also builds wordpress websites for independent businesses and entrepreneurs.